Loud-mouthed liberal feminist. Anarchist knitter. Tequila-drinking artsy-smartsy fat chick. Bluesy folk-rock singer-songwriter. Rebel with too many causes. Quirky eclectic pagan poet. Paradoxical intuitive smartass. Sarcastic brainiac insomniac. You know, for starters.

2.26.2008

Activism isn't necessarily selfless.

My dad, the hunter, doesn't like that I support Greenpeace....but I do. I don't always agree with their tactics or their platforms, for that matter, but their overall environmental aims really jive with mine (sustainable agro, global warming, anti-nuclear, conservation of forests and oceans....what's bad about any of this? it's not even that radical!). I was reminded again this morning of Greenpeace's freakin' awesome MusicWood program, which supports conservation of old growth forests, particularly those with the kinds of woods used in musical instruments. This program blends two of my favorite things (music and environmentalism)....and I love when that happens. Plus, as the owner of several guitars (notably my awesome hot blonde stage guitar, made of flamed curly maple, rosewood, sitka spruce, and mahogany - all endangered woods) I sort of have a vested interest anyway.

So, like my dad supports causes that conserve resources he enjoys as an outdoorsman....I support Greenpeace because they make sure I can lust after pretty guitars for years and years to come. Responsibly, even.

Basically, my point is that the watch word for me when it comes to environmentalism is "sustainability." I want to be able to do the things I love for the rest of my life, and without conservation and stewardship and effort, that probably won't happen. Permaculture is all about this factor, too - it's about living your life in such a way that it can continue indefinitely. Conserve trees so they'll be around. Conserve energy so that it doesn't run out before our troops leave Iraq (and heck, maybe we could ignore Iraq if we didn't need so much energy). Conserve water because there's not much of it left. Et cetera, ad infinitum.

So, if you - like so many people - haven't yet found it imperative in your life to start thinking and ACTING green...maybe consider it from that perspective. Ecology is an everyday thing, not just in terms of trying to integrate green practices in our mundane choices, but also in terms of what we lose as our chances to preserve the planet slip through our fingers.

No comments: