Loud-mouthed liberal feminist. Anarchist knitter. Tequila-drinking artsy-smartsy fat chick. Bluesy folk-rock singer-songwriter. Rebel with too many causes. Quirky eclectic pagan poet. Paradoxical intuitive smartass. Sarcastic brainiac insomniac. You know, for starters.

10.30.2008

Happy (Witches') New Year!

I'm shortly off to the hinterland to celebrate my parents' ten year wedding anniversary (dad & stepmom, that is; they got married on Halloween, 'cause we're *that* kind of family). I'm looking forward to quality time playing the eccentric auntie for my neices and nephews, plus I've ordered a very fawncy cake for the occasion...and who doesn't love a fawncy cake?

If I can get a little woo for a moment...Samhain is, of course, the end and the beginning of the pagan Wheel of the Year, a time of year I associate with self-reflection and contemplation and consideration. It's a time I think of my Beloved Dead, of my ancestors and elders, of the world that has been. Particularly this year, I feel like there's a lot of energy around the turning of the Wheel, and that the coming Winter will be one of wrapping up a lot of things in preparation for bright new beginnings on the other side of the season. I certainly feel that to be true in my life, and what with that whole Historic Election thing going on, I think maybe the whole planet is sort of hanging on this turning.

I'm hoping to be in the massive crowd in Grant Park on Tuesday night. To hell with my hatred for big crowds...this is a once-in-a-lifetime moment, and I will be there, or as close as I can get, anyway.

In the meantime, I hope you're all enjoying whatever holiday you're celebrating (or not) at the moment. See you on the other side!

No comments: