Loud-mouthed liberal feminist. Anarchist knitter. Tequila-drinking artsy-smartsy fat chick. Bluesy folk-rock singer-songwriter. Rebel with too many causes. Quirky eclectic pagan poet. Paradoxical intuitive smartass. Sarcastic brainiac insomniac. You know, for starters.

8.20.2008

The Omnivore's Hundred (like the Dilemma, only slightly less guilt-inducing)

So, OTM posted the Omnivore's Hundred, and since I am trying very hard this week not to become completely enveloped in a crispy coating of generalized sucktasticness, I decided to go through it myself and see what I'd eaten. On the one hand....disturbing how many weirdo crap foods I've eaten over the course of thirty years. On the other hand, I've always been perversely proud of all the weird things I've eaten, despite being one of the pickiest eaters I know. I was actually kinda disappointed not to find some of the weirder stuff on this list. I mean, venison heart, pork brains, and mountain oysters...apparently I find offal-based eating weird (hmmmm). Interestingly, of those three, I like the testicles best (speaking of hmmmmm).

So, if you care to rock this food-based navel-gazing yourself, just copy the list; bold is for what you've eaten, strikethrough for what you wouldn't touch.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding (surprisingly, as I have a pretty broad farmgirl history with meat products)
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht (Mmmmm....beets.)
10. Baba ghanoush (Mmmmmm...eggplant.)
11. Calamari (Mmmmm....octopi.)
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi (blech!)
15. Hot dog from a street cart (also blech!)
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (my first drunk was on homemade sour cherry wine....yeeech)
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras (once was enough)
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese (I've rocked homemade head cheese, even.)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (I don't do the spicy stuff. It makes me cry.)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava (not my fave)
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas (I don't even think the word wasabi too loudly, for fear of crying over the spicy.)
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut (blech!)
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (cognac yes....cigar no.)
37. Clotted cream tea (but I hear good things....maybe I should make a point)
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (...just this past weekend...)
39. Gumbo (though it's usually too spicy for me)
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat (goat yes....curried no)
42. Whole insects (several kinds, actually....I like the ants the best)
43. Phaal (Nein, danke!)
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (no, but I've done tequilas like that...mmmmm)
46. Fugu (but this is totally on my list to try next time I feel like risking my life for dinner)
47. Chicken tikka masala (Might try it....but prolly not. Sounds spicy.)
48. Eel (I love eel. Like, true love.)
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (I do not get the joy of "Hot Donuts Now," though)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle (I will brave weird lederhosen-wearing polka bands for good spaetzle!)
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine (I was not impressed.)
60. Carob chips (speaking of not impressed)
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst (curry...blech!)
65. Durian (I'm weirdly fascinated now, and want to give this a try....hmmmm)
66. Frogs’ legs (I love these. Like I love eel.)
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis (I thought it was better than its reputation deserved.)
69. Fried plantain (too banana-like for my taste)
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (seriously, what is the fuss about here?)
73. Louche absinthe (I have hard feelings for absinthe because of a ruined tryst. Petty, but true.)
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill (Mmmmm....venison.)
76. Baijiu (Sounds like sake, and I only had to drink that once to decide I could get rubbing alcohol cheaper at the drug store.)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail (Mmmmm...escargot....so tasty...)
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum (did I mention the hate for spicy?)
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. (again with the not getting the fuss)
85. Kobe beef (My dad tells me stories about the Kobe Beef he had in Okinawa, but it sounds a little too close to veal for my comfort.)
86. Hare
87. Goulash (Hell, I've *made* goulash. A lot, actually. Prolly why I don't eat it much these days...)
88. Flowers (From my own plants, even.)
89. Horse (not to my knowledge anyway....)
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam (surprisingly edible!)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa (I don't need no stinkin' hot sauce.)
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano (Happened by accident. I cried.)
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

No comments: