Loud-mouthed liberal feminist. Anarchist knitter. Tequila-drinking artsy-smartsy fat chick. Bluesy folk-rock singer-songwriter. Rebel with too many causes. Quirky eclectic pagan poet. Paradoxical intuitive smartass. Sarcastic brainiac insomniac. You know, for starters.

8.09.2004

Fucking Mercury Retrograde.

So, I had this gig Saturday night, a gig which I do not plan to ever discuss at great length, but I do want to mention that it reminded me of a lesson I seem to learn over and over again, and yet still can't seem to remember...thus necessitating another round of it. The lesson is that just because you earn it, doesn't mean you'll get it. Life isn't fair, that sucks, but it isn't changing anytime soon and the best you can do is accept and keep on trucking.

I'm past the point where I'm bitter about it.....mostly.

The worse thing is that after this horrible gig, I went home (if I was a *real* rock star, I'd have stopped in at a bar to drown my sorrows....meh), only to realize that I'd forgotten my housekeys. No worries, I'll just ring the bell and my roomie will let me in...only he stayed out at his parents that night. But still no worries, I'll just call my landlord and have him let me in with his spare key. Except when I went to check and see if by some miracle I'd managed to leave the back door unlocked (I hadn't), his car was gone, meaning he was away frolicking in Wisconsin somewhere.

So, I'm locked out of my house, it's 10:30 and dark, I have no idea when either of the people who might let me in will be home, I've had a shitty night to begin with, and to top it off, I'm getting a little cold. Now I have to break into my house. Great. The perfect end to the perfect evening.

So, I try the window on the back porch - sometimes it's unlocked. No dice. The cats, however, are mightily amused by my antics. They make it clear that they'd like me to stop fucking around and come inside and feed them. I run around to the front porch, and try one of the front windows.

By the grace of whatever deity was shining down on me that night...I'm guessing one of the Tricksters....it was unlocked, and I tried to surreptitiously open the window, slide in my guitar and equipment bag, then plunge in myself without a.) knocking anything over on my way in, and b.) looking like a burglar. I mean, sure I can prove that I live there, but a summit with the neighborhood watch and/or police was not high on my list of ways to wrap up the evening.

At this point, I'm philosophical about the whole experience. It could've been worse. Shit happens. I could spout cliches for hours, but I think you get the idea.

Mercury goes retrograde today, which generally means that all hell will be breaking loose in my life (I suspect Mercury had a role in Saturday night's adventure). I have a feeling that all of the progress I've been making latly will slow to a crawl over the next few weeks...which might even be okay, considering how crazy things have been.

This week will be a good chance to relax, though - my former roomie Sue is coming into town and we are then road-tripping to Michigan for a wedding (a friend of Sue's) and some quality time hanging out together, which we haven't done since the epic trip to New York a couple years ago. Sue is one of the people I miss most from Atlanta...she is sweet and thoughtful, but also incredibly strong and resilient. She has been through hell so many times, and I have such respect for her guts, talents, and brains.

Also, she enjoys drooling over big, sweaty, manly men as much as I do. Possibly more.

It will be really awesome to see her. I can't wait.

No comments: